Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Prayer Of Jabez

I came across a book in my Mother in Law's Library (actually in fell on me) and it was called "The Prayer of Jabez".
Since it was a character in the Bible I knew nothing about ...I decided to read about it. I came across some interesting facts:
#1  Jabez is mentioned in the Book of Chronicles. In fact he is here: 1 Chronicles 4:10 if you want to look it up.

Now the interesting thing about the Book of Chronicles is that this particular book is more of a listing of all the people in the Bible from Adam to Jesus. Not really a story book or any stories that you would really talk about.
The Story of Jabez is smack in the middle of a listing of names and its not very long. Actually - here it is.


"And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that Thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."

Now ...question....? Why would you put this particular "story" in the middle of a huge list of names?
There must have been something important that he did to deserve it.
Now lets talk about Jabez. 
 Back in those days..your name meant pretty much your meaning of life. Solomon meant "peace" and he was one of the First Kings to have no blood shed during his reign.
Jabez name meant "he makes sorrowful". Can you imagine a growing up with a name like that?
Anyways- there might be something to his prayer.

Here is some more reading on the prayer- it explains a little more about the prayer and why they inserted it in the middle of Chronicles

http://www.allaboutprayer.org/prayer-of-jabez.htm

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment